Monday, 10 February 2014

The Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2014

Less than a week ago we celebrated exuberant excess and frivolity with the passing of the Super Bowl and while I didn’t watch the whole game, I did catch trailers for some of this year’s upcoming studio tent poles. The act brought on an intense wave of nostalgia for pre-internet times when we movie geeks had to wait until the Super Bowl to catch a glimpse of all the cinematic awesomeness that would soon be heading our way. As a result, my eyes were glued to the screen during the commercial breaks (the main attraction, in my mind) and I continued my ravenous trailer-viewing afterward in case there was anything exciting the programmers omitted.


And so, in such a spirit, I present my top 10 most anticipated films for 2014!



The LEGO Movie (February 7)



OK, so yes, this movie is already out and by the time you read this I WILL have seen it, but all signs point to YES on this one. Fun trailer, great cast, and the animation is just fantastic. The first time I saw the trailer I honestly thought the majority of the film had been done using stop motion animation and I can’t decide whether I’m more disappointed or amazed after finding out that it’s all CG.


Grand Budapest Hotel (March 7)



Yes. Yes. Yes. That is all.


Noah (March 8)




Of all the films on this list, I feel the most conflicted about this one. On the plus side, it has a pretty stellar cast, the special effects look like they’ll be quite an impressive spectacle, and, most of all, it’s directed by one of my favorite filmmakers, Mr. Darren Aronofsky. On the other hand, it looks like it takes EXTREME liberties with the source material, the odds of cultural accuracy look slim considering the cast is made up exclusively of English-speaking white people, and films made by great directors given extravagant budgets and the attached studio control usually disappoint. I guess we’ll just have to wait until March 8 to see whether we’re in for rough or smooth sailing…

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (April 4)



Marvel has got their stuff together, and this looks like a rollicking good time that might even have a little bit of substance to it. Go ‘Murica!

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2)



After Noah, my runner-up award for reluctant excitement goes toThe Amazing Spider-Man 2. While its predecessor may have had bad reasons for revamping the series so soon after the last one ended, it proved to be fun, distinct from the Raimi films, and, at least in my opinion, Andrew Garfield was a much better representation of everyone’s favorite web-slinger than Toby McGuire. HOWEVER, the trailer makes it look like this installment will suffer from many of the same problems that brought the initial franchise down, namely too much going on and too many villains. We’ve got Electro (turned to a psychotic murderer because someone forgot his name?!), the Green Goblin (Harry? What about Norman?), and the Rhino (WHY IS HE A TRANSFORMER WITH MACHINE GUNS???)


Still, Spider-Man is Spider-Man. Count me in.

Godzilla (May 16)



Director Gareth Edwards proved he had a knack for the kaiju genre  with Monsters in 2010. Now that he has some street cred, a big name cast, and a budget that dwarfs what he had in the previously mentioned independent film, I’m really excited to see what he does in this decidedly more serious take on the King of the Monsters.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (May 23)



Rise had its flaws, but the work of Andy Serkis and Weta created a truly compelling character in Caesar, and I for one am really excited about getting down to the action in this sequel that takes place 8 years later.


A Million Ways to Die in the West (May 30)


Yeah, I think Seth Macfarlane and crew are funny.

Jupiter Ascending (July 18)


The sci-fi epics produced by the Wachowskis are really hit and miss, but when it’s on IT’S ON. I’m intrigued.

Interstellar (November 7)



I know next to nothing about this, but, Dark Knight Rises aside, I’m a Nolan fanboy. What can I say?

What films are YOU looking forward to? Leave your thoughts below or tweet at us @swagger_media!


1 comment:

  1. I'm most definitely looking forward to the 3rd installment of the Hunger Games! These other movies are pretty intriguing too. Nice (you know, except for the part when you omitted Hunger Games)!

    ReplyDelete